Friday, July 12, 2013

Singer Treadle

I've been really itchin' to try sewing with the new (to me) treadle machine even tho I haven't started cleaning it yet. 


I did oil the big wheel under the cabinet (no more squeaking!!) and I've been practicing pumping the foot thingy a bit trying to get the hang of it

So tonight I finally got the new belt on (after hammering 4 holes thru the rolling round leather strip, grrrr)

And I've learned a few things.  First, it's hard to keep the wheel rolling in the right direction! 

Second, if u let the wheel turn backwards it screws up your thread. 



Third, if u use your hand on the balance wheel in an attempt to keep it rolling the proper direction, make sure you don't poke your finger thru the spokes and get it caught between a spoke and the bobbin winder. 


And finally, it's probably not realistic to expect a perfect stitch from a machine this age before u show it a little love with the wd40 & some machine oil


No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels