Thursday, July 25, 2013

If u can't grow tomatoes try horn worms

I've been nursing 4 uninspired tomato plants for a few months now & am finally seeing the fruit of my labors, hehe. I may get a tomato or two about September.

About a week ago I noticed something was chewing the leaves of one of them & this is what I found
Plus about seven of his brothers but I threw them in the trash can.

So I'm thinking it'll be fun to keep one 'til he mutates; 4 plants should feed one caterpillar easily enough, right?

Well, look at this joker now!
 And he's still going! At this point he's keeping me busy picking leaves, he wants about 4-6 a day, I may need to do a little research & figure out how much longer before he stops eating & starts spinning...4 tomato plants might not do the trick.   

But he has a 5 day reprieve, I'm taking him with me to my cousin's house for a visit, she's got lotsa garden.



1 comment:

  1. tomato worms drive me nuts!!! I am interested in what you discover.. years ago, I created a "terrarium" of sorts to see how far he could go.. I discovered that these guys actually go into the ground to create the cocoon.. when they hatch out, they are a moth that looks like a cross between a hummingbird and huge horseflies,,Moths are much more destructive than butterflies..Too bad they won't eat your catalpa tree leaves.. Either way.. there is no way to completely get rid of them without treating the soil and putting that "junk" in the soil that eventually winds up in your tomatoes.. Interesting experiment...:)

    ReplyDelete

Labels